What You Need to Know
Understanding Your Assignment
Before you begin looking for information, you should make sure you understand your assignment.
Some good questions are:
- How many pages?
- How many sources?
- What kinds of sources?
Your professor is your best resource to answer these questions.
The Research Process
The following outline gives a simple and effective strategy for finding information for a research paper or project.
Step 1: Understand your topic
- How much do you know about your topic?
- Do some background reading. THINK...Encyclopedia!
Step 2: Now you can search
- Use the keywords gathered from your background search.
- Find books, articles, and websites using library resources.
Step 3: Put It All Together
- Begin putting togther your paper, presentation, etc.
- You might need to repeat earlier steps to fill any information gaps.
- Write down what sources you use when you make your citation page.
Contact a Librarian
The FLC Librarians can help you with your research in variety of ways.
We are always happy to help!
Ask A Librarian
Research Help Hours
|M - Th||8 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Fri||8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.|