Articles published in periodicals (journals, newspapers, and magazines) can provide a narrower focus or perspective on specific aspects of your topic. It is useful to understand the purpose, authority, and identifying features of different types of periodicals.
- Report original research and criticism
- Published by professional associations to benefit those working in the field or discipline
- Many articles are reviewed by other experts in the subject area (peer-review)
- Articles are often lengthy and provide citations
Visit OneSearch to browse our entire collection of journals.
- Focus on current events and news
- Not usually considered scholarly or professional, but may be only source of information on very new topics
- Focus on popular or current topics
- Articles are often shorter and written for a general audience
- Typically written by journalists